life, drums, family

family disconnected…

a bit of a tough day, as far as missing home and my family goes.

I tried to do FaceTime on my iPad, which didn’t work, then tried iChat on the computer, and we could sort of see each other, but it was hard to hear-  making conversation tough, especially with a 4 year old.

I had called Yuki earlier in the day, and she was shopping with Taiyo.   She asked Taiyo if he wanted to talk to me, but he wouldn’t even hold the phone- he didn’t want to talk.  And I try to be cool about that stuff-  I know it’s just because he misses me that he won’t talk on the phone-  but I’m realizing how sad it makes me.  Not that he won’t talk to me, but that I’m away-  and he’s obviously sad-  and even with technology the way it is-  it doesn’t always work the way you would hope it should, especially when you’re travelling.

So I’m missing my wife and child a lot right now.  I love them both so much.  I just can’t wait till December where I get to see everybody for a little over a week.

But yeah, I guess I have to be honest about how much I miss them, and being a part of their lives on a daily basis.

I feel a little bit disconnected from my kid-  he’s growing so fast-  and I’m not there to see it.  But it did make me feel good that I am able to provide for them-  and Yuki can go shopping and buy winter clothes for Taiyo.  They’re taken care of.  By me.  Even though I’m not there.

And I know Taiyo is an exceptionally resillient kid… he’s got plenty to keep him busy, and so many fun activities that he and Yuki do together-  and I have to remind myself that it’s because of the work that I’m doing, that they have that life.

once again, thanks for reading-

rion

6 responses

1. Marcus

Wow that’s heavy and heartfelt. I feel ya!!

November 2, 2012 at 7:22 am

2. Sara Waugh

Good job looking at the positive! Soon Taiyo will be school aged and it is a wonderful gift that you are giving him to spend everyday with his mom. I enjoy working and having the funds for our home, cars, etc. but somedays I would give anything to be with all my kids while they are little and then I think about all those out there struggling to find a good job, etc. and I feel lucky.
    P.S. Sometimes my kids don’t like talking on the phone either and we see them everyday 🙂

November 2, 2012 at 10:48 am

3. M Synan

Kinsley doesn’t talk on the phone…not because she’s mad… it’s just the age. Taiyo knows you are the best dad in the whole world!

November 2, 2012 at 6:51 pm

• Thanks Mike- I love that little guy so much- it’s tough- and I’m just coming to grips with it!

November 4, 2012 at 3:48 am

4. June Smith

I know how much you’re missing that special little boy. I miss him, too, a lot! He and Yuki will be here in four days and we’re so looking forward to having the two of them with us. Interesting, when we did a face chat a couple of days ago, Taiyo was trying to cover up the camera so he didn’t have to see us! I think he was more interested in the company at the house than us. A little later when he came back into view, he had a cute hat on! I always remember what my mom said about children, “It’s their nature to be happy.” It’s all good. — Your photographs are awesome! You difinitely have “the eye.” Nice bed bud self-portrait! That said it all!
    Love you every day,